Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Bird

The Bird

Jackson is almost 3 1/2 years old. He is a curious little guy, and this morning on the playground he caught a bird. This was a young bird. It was still fuzzy. I'm not sure if it had fallen out of the nest trying to fly, or if  it just fell out of the nest. Whatever the reason, my son and one of his friends decided to help it. 

I'm not sure exactly what went on with the bird, but I did see it hop away out of the playground. Knowing they had touched the bird, I took Jackson and his friend inside to wash their hands. On the way in, I asked, "How did the little bird feel?". The response I recieved was, "It felt nice." My next question was, "Were you nice to the bird?" to which was immediately answered, "I was!! But HE (Jackson) wasn't." 

As cute as this whole situation was, it made me think a little bit. 

When I see someone in need and I try to help, am I really helping, or am I just patting them on the back? 

When I see someone with a need, and I try to help, am I being nice, or am I patting them too hard? 

If I see someone with a need, and I desire to help them, do they actually want my help, or am I forcing my help on them?